- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom OR 3/4 teaspoon ground mace OR 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup golden OR dark raisins
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 egg white
- 16 candied cherry halves (optional)
- Powdered sugar
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, lemon peel, cardamom and salt in a large mixer bowl. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Stir into flour mixture. Stir in 2 eggs, raisins, candied orange peel, almonds and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half to a 12 x 8-inch oval. Fold dough in half lengthwise, slightly off-center, so top layer is set back 1/2 inch from bottom edge; press lightly to seal. Place on large greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Lightly beat egg white; brush on stollens. Arrange 8 cherry halves in a row along bottom edge of each stollen. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until done, covering with foil after 25 minutes to prevent excess browning.
- Bread is done if it sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheet; let cool on wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over stollens.