- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tart red cherries
- 1/4 cup Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crown® Lily White Corn Syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter OR margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 drops red food colouring
- 2 (23cm/9-inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Drain cherries and reserve juice. Combine 1/2 cup cherry juice with corn starch. Add sugar, lemon peel, salt, corn syrup, butter, almond extract and food colouring; stir until combined. Stir in cherries.
- Place one crust in pie pan. Pour in filling. Place remaining pie crust over filling. Flute edges and cut slits in top crust.
- Place pie on a baking sheet or pizza pan (in case the pie bubbles over during baking). Bake for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F/180°C and bake 40 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.